www.autostadt.ie

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 pm 
Founder

In October 2014, Paul Carroll aka 8valve posted a small advert on Facebook asking people to consider donating their old bicycles or bicycle parts to him so that he could refurbish them and pass to people maybe not so fortunate. Shortly after "Rebike" was formed and has since grown from strength to strength.

While there are many other honourable charities out there it is nice to see something local and someone that we know behind it. It was therefore a no brainer for Rebike to become a designated supported charity on this forum and we would ask you all to spread the word and really row in behind Rebike especially with Xmas not too far away and Santa starting to check his parts department!!

Paul will be along shortly to explain what Rebike is all about and how you can help. A designated sub-forum has also been created for Rebike: viewforum.php?f=210

So please join us in wishing Paul every success for the future with this very worthy drive.

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 pm 
Advanced Driver

Thanks for the introduction, Mike.

For those of you, who may not know what Rebike is all about, here's a quick history…

In October 2014, I started a Facebook page and called it Rebike.
I hoped at the time I might get my hands on a dozen old bikes, make 3 or 4 good ones out of all the parts, pass them on to some local charity, and that would be that. That plan didn’t last long!

Since Rebike started, we have been donated over 300 old, unwanted and unused bicycles through the workshop door. Some were good, some needed some TLC, and some, unfortunately, were too far gone to save, so they yielded spare parts. But every single one, regardless of condition, represented the generosity of the local (and not so local!) community. We are based in Waterford, but have had donations of bikes and parts from as far away as Belfast.

Some of the people who have supported us are private individuals, some own bikeshops but all have something in common: Outstanding generosity and support for what Rebike is trying to achieve. For this, we are extremely grateful; their actions and words of encouragement have made it all worthwhile.

Of those 300 bikes, over 200 are now back in regular use; some with kids or teens groups, some with schools, some with private individuals. Take a moment to think about that... Over 200 kids, teens and adults who up to recently didn't have access to a bike (some who had never even been on a bike!), now get to ride a bike on a regular basis, improving their lives, their health, and helping them to explore and broaden their horizons while it gives them mobility, independence and contributes to their health and well-being. Bikes have so far been re-homed to Counties Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Tipperary, and Dublin.
Rebike has achieved this, only through the generosity and support of those who believe in what we do.

I've often said I'm at my happiest when I've got a spanner in my hands, with oil up to my elbows, so as long as people's generosity means bikes keep coming through the door, Rebike will send them back out, fixed up, safe and roadworthy, to those who need them.
I’ve been asked on numerous occasions over the past couple of years why am I doing this, sometimes at my own expense; why spend my free time fixing up old bikes that most people wouldn’t give a second thought about sending to the local dump, then just giving them away?

Because I love cycling. I love bikes. I love mechanical work. I’m at my happiest when I’m making something old and broken work again. If I can put whatever little talent I have into restoring a bike, giving it a new home to make new memories, then it’s worth doing.

That’s why.

Cycling has always been a part of my life and always will be. It’s a fun way to stay fit while at the same time seeing a bit of this beautiful country we live in…when it’s not raining. If I can facilitate someone taking up cycling and enjoying it, then to me, Rebike is worth doing. That’s why I do it. I want others to have the opportunity to enjoy cycling as much as those who are privileged enough to be able to afford a bike. It will help improve people’s health, it’s good for the environment, and it’s for your community and mine.

So, if at some point you feel like buying yourself a new bike, or the kids have outgrown their bikes,why not do some good with them and donate it to Rebike? We’ll make sure it finds a good home!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Paul.

PS I'll post our contact details in the new forum section if anyone has any queries, questions or wishes to get in touch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 pm 
Founder

Bump.

Christmas is well over - any old bikes emerging?

Sheds are being cleared for spring - any old bikes emerging?

New bikes for summer planned - any old bikes emerging?

Give Paul Carroll a shout! :-c :-bd

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:43 pm 
Founder

If you're contemplating some charitable donation please consider this one....

http://www.rebikeireland.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm 
Advanced Driver

Thanks, Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 pm 
Full Licence

I've a few bikes around that we've grown out of. They would be for ages 8-20. They would need the usual new tubes and brakes looked at.

Are these of any interest, I tried the website but it seems to be down at the minute. I'm up in Kildare too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm 
Advanced Driver

Hi John, I'd be happy to take them.
Currently getting a new website built.
You can get me on www.facebook.com/rebikeireland or rebikeireland@gmail.com.
Thanks for your support.
Paul.