www.autostadt.ie

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 pm 
The Stig

Mike wrote:
Firstly many thanks to everyone who traveled near and far to join us on track today as drivers, passengers or spectators.

Big thanks also to Rob King and the team at Trackdays.ie. Great hosts and very helpful throughout the day including the many coaching sessions and free passenger laps they ran.

We do hope everyone enjoyed themselves, learnt a bit and especially any people new to trackdays who have broken their duck and fully appreciate the benefits of such an outing :)

A few pic...and if you have some pics or video please feel free to share here or over on FB - preferably both please!!!

>>> Click here to access Google Photos Album of the Trackday <<<

I can echo this, superb day. I'm wrecked!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:58 pm 
The Stig

Mossey0708 wrote:
3 men admire one knob (and linkage mechanism) :lol Image

https://www.alitechprecision.co.uk/products-1

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 am 
The Stig

Tristan wrote:
Mossey0708 wrote:
3 men admire one knob (and linkage mechanism) :lol Image

https://www.alitechprecision.co.uk/products-1

Didn't take you long to find that, any use for keeping the backend from passing out the front??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 am 
The Stig

I think it's Yokohama for that complaint!

@everyone else, Will has the first "drift Corrado" in the country.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 am 
The Stig

Tristan wrote:
I think it's Yokohama for that complaint!

@everyone else, Will has the first "drift Corrado" in the country.

Tristan is referring to the tendency of my 8v to step out at the rear which it did, lots!

A bit of background...

I have fitted widetrack front suspension same as VR6 Corrado/MK3 VR but not yet widened the rear track. I prefer the feel of the widetrack front end and my last time around Mondello I was in the VR and was very comfortable chucking it into corners, too hot into the turn and a little understeer was easily counteracted by getting off the gas a bit allowing the rear to follow, on occasion I was able to get the inside rear lifted off the track.

On my first lap this time out I was well out of shape more than once with my passenger (Mrs. willvr) uttering some choice words something along the lines of 'let me out ya d*ickhead'. Part of this I behavior (the car, not the wife) I put down to not remembering the track, cold tyres and lack of talent. I took a break and went out again a little later and had two more 'wobbles' including a minor trip backwards onto the grass with a fiesta and a MKII passing either side of me while I was pointing the wrong way, no better way to get you properly woken up!

After a couple more laps I pitted again and checked tyre pressures with recommendations from Tristan & Newtown Pat they should be mid 20s so I reduced them and got out again. Some improvement but still nowhere near what the VR felt like so I swapped into Tristans MKII and he took mine out for comparison. The MKII was so much more confidence inspiring in the corners it was night and day. I can't remember what Tristans comment was when he got out of mine was but he found the same behavior as me.

A bit of discussion, more dropping pressures and head scratching ensued as to what the reason is and some chat with the real racers that were there led to the conclusion that very simply the wider the front track v's the rear leads to more 'front positive' handling and consequently more tail happy and vice versa. Racers sometimes would setup like this to get a sharper front end but then unlike me they'd have the skill to keep the rear where it should be. I have a VR rear beam which I haven't got around to fitting yet, I only wish I had a set of spacers on the day to make an instant comparison.

Highlights of the day? Loads, a supercharged lotus and a 260bhp IITC championship winning civic on slicks absolutely devouring me out of turn 3, following Pats MK1 for lap after lap and laughing out loud under my helmet watching Tristans MKII like an auld dog cocking it's leg corner after corner.

Can't wait for the next one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 pm 
The Stig

Sher it is only an aul dog!

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm 
The Stig

Tristan wrote:
Sher it is only an aul dog!
Plenty of life in it yet. Does my summary above make sense? Comments welcome

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
The Stig

110 per cent.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 pm 
Founder

What suspension is in the 8v Will? Same front and rear?

It could still be partially attributed to mix of tyres Will?

Was it happening on braking ot mid corner on or off throttle?

Interesting to hear how this pans out.

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm 
The Stig

Mike wrote:
What suspension is in the 8v Will? Same front and rear?

It could still be partially attributed to mix of tyres Will?

Was it happening on braking ot mid corner on or off throttle?

Interesting to hear how this pans out.

Suspension is stock, all front bushes, ball joints etc are less than 10k miles old, the only thing original on the front is the rack.

Tyres are eagle f1all round, about 3 years old and near the wear limit but as you know the track was dry.

When in corner was it happening? Mid corner I would say, it is stable braking in a straight line with no pull left or right but then again it wouldn't give confidence to try any sort of trail braking into the corner

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:10 pm 
The Stig

Imo it happens mostly under weight transfer. Isn't it great to find this out on a track, rather than having a nagging feeling in the back of your mind, on the public road, and losing it into a hedge one day.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 pm 
The Stig

Tristan wrote:
Imo it happens mostly under weight transfer. Isn't it great to find this out on a track, rather than having a nagging feeling in the back of your mind, on the public road, and losing it into a hedge one day.

Yes it is the place to find out, no doubt. Imagine the earful I'd be getting from herself if it were the public road!

Occurring under weight transfer? Again you're probably right, that turn 8 right/left around the back had me getting squirelly more than once. Me being all ham fisted and clumsy early in the day certainly wouldn't have helped.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 pm 
Founder

lol your passenger was a tad pale after the first run when you were "finding your line"

I think we all need a gopro or even phone video next time. It would be great to replay and learn/pinpoint movement of car.

Bit late now, but never thought of asking Rob from Trackdays to take you out in your car as he may well have been able to pin point some good feedback too.

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 pm 
Advanced Driver

Just did the after lunch session in the end. Shared the car with a mate so it got a proper caining. Really enjoyed it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 pm 
L Plates needed

Great day guys, we had an absolute blast and always enjoy doing the passenger laps. It was a pleasure having the Autostadt crew there! As the sun started to set, we decided to go out and have a little play in the Trackdays.ie fleet of ek Civic hire cars. Here's a quick video

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:38 pm 
The Stig

Myself and Young Gibbons the bonnet model dandering up the straight. Proof that you don't need a fast car, or to be a fast driver, to have a great time on track.

Thanks to Autostadt and Rob for organising the day.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
Advanced Driver

willvr wrote:
I have fitted widetrack front suspension same as VR6 Corrado/MK3 VR but not yet widened the rear track.

The real mechanics on here will give a better explaination I'm sure but in lay mans term haven't you just messed with "The Ackerman Angle"

I dont understand the maths and geometery fully but basically I think by widening the front track without doing the rear you would have automatically pushed the Ackemran angle towards or even behind the rear axle...I think this is a bad idea as far as handling is concerned.

Lighter engine would affect handling as well when compared to the VR....

Found this online as well....some interesting stuff

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/Tourin ... ing_V1.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm 
The Stig

I have to disagree re ackerman. It's typically a line through the centre pivot point of the suspension, both sides of the car, through the steering joints, ie outer track rod end, and for those two lines to intersect in the middle of the rear axle line. It's more for the allowance of the inner and outer front wheels to "draw" different sized circles on the ground due to them having different radii in a turn.
It can be used to change handling characteristics, such as more or less toe in/out om turning in, but not really noticeable on a road car on road tires.

E39 M5.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next