www.autostadt.ie

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:09 pm 
The Stig

Ok gang the iron is still hot, so I'm striking it.

Firstly and most importantly, a few people need to be thanked. And If I am forgetting anyone, I truly apologise, I'm absolutely shattered! So in no particular order.....

Mycroft/Andy for supplying (and using!) the 2-way radios, invaluable for keeping an eye on the posse, and may have saved a few from penalty points between Gort and Loughrea.... ;)

Dent Doc/Derek, Edel(Black mk2 GTI), William F, Jamie(ratty red mk2 GTI....my one :D ) , again for acting as radio cars and trying to keep everyone together and safe.

Tara. Oh my holy Jesus. The Cake!!! the fc.uking cake!!!!!!! and the buns!!!!!!!!!! The detail!!!
And this lovely young lassie took it upon herself, on her own time and expense, to provide these delicacies, without anyone asking or suggesting. Outstandingly kind and generous gesture IMHO. :ymhug: :-bd ^:)^

Good ol' HashTag Ro-maniser. For being himself. Oh and printing the Roadbooks, and generally being an all-round good guy, keeping the karting payments on track, and general event management.
Likewise Djnr8/Nick, helped me a lot behind the scenes, including editing the promo video. Owe you one, cuz.
Also Ted (the other one!) who helped me plot the route originally.

Blas cafe in Portumna for reserving the whole place for us for brunch. I know it was a wee bit tight, and the girls were under pressure but I think it's fair to say it was a nice informal sitdown with lovely grub.
https://www.facebook.com/Blas.Portumna/?fref=ts any of ye Face-bookers might give them an aul Like.

Likewise Pallas Karting, in fairness they were very easy to deal with. https://www.facebook.com/pallaskartinggalway/?fref=ts

Eoghan Roe O'Donnell, and his most excellent sidekick and future Mrs EROD, Sarah. Again, giving up time they really don't have to spare with the design/media/stickers/merchandising side of things, and remember folks, they're doing this from the far side of the planet! ^:)^ ^:)^ :-bd :-bd

Egle (SashOxx's OH), for once again bringing her camera gear, And Derek similarly for the Drone/quadcopter. Can't wait to see the pics!

The Autostadt mod team. For giving us/me a platform on which to actually organise, run and attend these types of events. Thanks guys, and a nod too for all the advice and suggestions along the way. :ymapplause:

And lastly, and maybe most importantly, You lot. Yeah you. You who got up early and appeared in Loughrea on a damp and foggy Sunday morning, when it would have been so easy stay in bed. I'm not gonna lie, leading such of a bunch of impressive machinery out of the Plaza this morning.... well it made me proud. Looking back at ye as we went around that first roundabout... well, it was a sight to behold. Some serious metal in the ranks today.

Now, that that's typed up, (and I'll probably think of someone else deserving a mention once I click "enter"), where can we improve?
Anything else you'd like? Or things that you felt just didn't work?

From a personal view, I know I should have gotten the google-maps link out earlier. Apologies.
I may have come across a bit of a pest when shouting at ye to "mount up", I'm sorry, I was VERY conscious of the timetable we needed to keep to. The Cafe and the Karting, we hadn't a lot of space to play with for the slots booked. And I didn't want to forgo either.

Constructive criticism welcomed... who's first up?

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 pm 
The Stig

I genuinely can't think of anything I could possibly criticise. It was the best car-related day out I've had bar none. Loved it and everyone was dead on, a sound bunch. Only sorry I missed the one in August. Hats off Tristan and co for a brilliant effort!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:28 pm 
L Plates needed

Was a brilliant weekend. Very well planed out and roadbooks easy to understand and follow to a tee... and your very welcome for the cake and buns :) was delighted to see all go and everyone enjoyed them :mrgreen: thanks again Tristan and all great weekend all round roll on next one :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:31 pm 
Founder

Great day. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Hats off to you Tristan for coming up with the idea, having the cahoonies to take it by the scruff to the Autostadt Mod team and help drive it through.
For sure many people supported today in the background and foreground but without people taking the initiative and people taking the time to attend nothing gets done.

We have just one more event planned for 2016 - Retro Rolling Day 2 - but the pipe is packed with ideas for 2017 :)

Thanks again Tristan and for everyone for attending. Its all very much appreciated and only encourages us to do more.

Finally on feedback, the only thing I'd suggest is that we should explore mechanisms for getting the map info out to peoples phones and sat nav devices. Something to do over the winter months.

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:28 am 
The Stig

Good one Mike Re the map. I nearly gave up on it Saturday. there simply MUST be a way, I just haven't found it.....yet...

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:29 am 
The Stig

Oh and thanks folks for the kind words. I'm just a small cog in the big Autostadt machine.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 am 
The Stig

There's honestly nothing I think could have been improved on. It was very well organised. Thanks again to everyone involved for making the day happen. And especially Tara for making the cake and buns. I missed out on the buns but the cake was delicious. Good job the cake wasn't brought out before the Karting...

@Mike: The google maps link Tristan sent out had the route planned. The link opened in google maps on my phone and I just hit start route and the phone did the rest.

Mk7 GTI DSG Performance Pack - Gone

Golf GTI Edition 30 DSG No 728 - Gone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 am 
The Stig

The convoys will always break up, it's hard to keep everyone together especially going through villages etc. Run rule on any pistonheads run i've ever did was always keep the guy behind you in your rear view mirror, i tried to do this a little bit yesterday but you just end up loosing the cars in front.

The road notes were great but hard to read at times when flying solo especially if you lost where you were on the stage. A viber or whatsapp group containing everyone attending would be a good idea with the route there and link. I checked the original thread at one stage for the route link but it seems to have been removed or i couldn't find it while driving.

Over all though hard to improve on it, great day out, good people, well behaved and respectful of the locals.

Roll on the next one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:23 am 
The Stig

There were Viber, WhatsApp and FB messenger groups, but it's a nuisance when everyone isn't all in the one.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 am 
Founder

kevinm wrote:
@Mike: The google maps link Tristan sent out had the route planned. The link opened in google maps on my phone and I just hit start route and the phone did the rest.

True so it could just be a case of the timing of its release and maybe some outline as to how it works etc for users

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:09 am 
The Stig

Tristan wrote:
There were Viber, WhatsApp and FB messenger groups, but it's a nuisance when everyone isn't all in the one.

I wasn't in any :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:10 am 
The Stig

Honestly, it was the best car related morning / afternoon I've had in a long time. So much banter and little stress, it was a great way to reconnect with your car and some old (and new) friends. I was just annoyed in the end that I double booked my day and had to leave early. Fair play to all involved in the conception and execution of this lads.

Plane wrote:
I put through a mkiv a few years ago and the cat was rattling like a skeleton havin a wank in a biscuit tin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 am 
The Stig

I think TJ Hooker said it all in the group message, "The hard work made it look like a piece of cake on the day"...... Well done Tara for the cake!!lol

Infairness.. hats off to everyone involved in making this happen! It took a lot of behind the scenes & recce driving to pull the whole lot together.

Well done to Tristan & all the team who helped out! It was a very enjoyable day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 am 
Founder

Let's get the feedback from the WhatsApp temp group for attendees up here as its important its all gathered to help us improve.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:25 pm 
The Stig

There are plenty of opportunities to shine up your car, bring it to a show, park up and walk around admiring other peoples' cars.

To meet everyone, see the cars arrive into the Plaza, hear the noise, and admire the condition of the cars in the metal and to chat with the owners was what it was all about for me. People showed not only their dedication to getting their cars up to the high standard in the first place, but to share this with others and be a part of the forum on the ground (a suggestion that was made earlier in the year in a thread).

Cars look good parked up surely, but in motion they look better!

For myself, being behind different cars at different stages on the run was class! Seeing them taking bends, hearing the noise taking off from a junction - that's what it's about for me!

Keeping the line up tight is important, no-one wants to get lost. Maybe for future runs it would be no harm, as one member suggested already, to try and keep the person behind you in your rear view mirror and to mention this at the start of the run.

I didn't have far to travel to the Plaza, to those who travelled from far and wide - fair play to you all!

The merchandise turned out 100%! The cake and buns were a credit to Tara!

Great to see the new member, Ciarán (white Beetle) make the run, I'm sure he's glad to have taken part in the run and to meet all. Great to see Eoghan Roe and Sarah at the start of the run too.

I'd like to thank the weather for not ruining it on us. Thank You Weather!

Fair play to the photographer too for taking pics. I look forward to seeing them.

The run has done and will do a lot for the forum.

2004 Cupra Tdi - http://www.autostadt.ie/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=769

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:37 pm 
The Stig

Nice words Darren. Thanks.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:44 pm 
The Stig

Shane wrote:
Tristan wrote:

I wasn't in any :lol:

Jeez Shane, I'm awful sorry, that definitely wasn't intentional. I sent out the map to anyone I had a contact for or who Pm'd me. Send me your number for future reference.

E39 M5.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 pm 
Advanced Driver

[quote="There simply MUST be a way, I just haven't found it.....yet...[/quote]

For anybody with a 7** series Garmin SatNav or later model, these have a "Custom Route" function which means one can upload a track to the satnav and then drive it....takes less than a minute to upload so could be done on the morning of a run if necessary.