www.autostadt.ie

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 pm 
Founder

Firstly, many thanks to Hugh for organising this event and inviting Autostadt to "inter-site" collaborate with the MK1 Owners club on the event :ymapplause:

Autostadt are very happy to contribute and help out in order to make this a regular event/pilgrimage and more importantly make those travelling the miles as welcome as possible.

Hugh will be along shortly to give more details but for the moment I've posted the flyer below for the event.

Over to you Hugh....

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 pm 
The Stig

I read this on Mk1 owners website lastnight, fair play Hugh and Autostadt.....

A4 B6 1.8t Quattro Avant S-Line (190 BEX) FOR SALE viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18897

MY MK2 GTI IS FINALLY UP FOR SALE HERE : viewtopic.php?f=78&t=19143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
Advanced Driver

Hope to make this, the caddy isn't really 'show standard' but will defiantly try and make this, the pictures out around Connemara will be great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Advanced Driver

Great work Hugh and all else involved, good idea mixing it up with limerick vs show just to round things off. I plan on being there, will let my mk1 friends know too. Can't wait now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm 
Full Licence

Hi Mike and thanks for the warm Autostadt welcome.

It's not just my efforts, but a small Mk1 Owners 'Ireland Region' sub committee - Derek (dentdoc) Joe (Irishgti) and myself, who are launching this event. I think it's the first time it has been attempted?

It is a little different than just going to a VAG show as it's planned around a weekend, we have a meet and greet, Connemara Mk1 classic car drive, an evening meal and entertainment. We hope it might appeal to many of the Mk1 owners in Ireland.

I guess we are trying to spread the word! If you are interested please come and share in this unique event, which culminates with the 'Ireland Mk1 Meet and Gathering' planned for the Limerick VAG Show on May 26th.

We look forward to the 'inter-site' efforts and hope that this weekend could grow into something bigger with a return trip to the Uk on alternative years.

So if you have a Mk1 Golf - Cabby, Tintop, Jetta or Caddy please do come along and make it a weekend to remember. :-bd

www.vwgolf1.com

Last edited by Shughy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Advanced Driver

Great man Hugh.. fair play for all the work you've put into making this come to pass.

Really looking forward to the weekend in Galway.. ive already the hotel booked

Previous :- 2006 Mk2 vRS PD TDI170 | 2007 MK2 vRS Combi 2.0 TFSI ( with fast-mode )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 pm 
Founder

Looks like a good event. I should be able to attend the Limerick show plus the Dublin city part of the weekend :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 am 
L Plates needed

This is the perfect motivation to get her dusted down and running. Will definitely do this. Well done lads for putting in such an effort.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm 
Advanced Driver

I have a question about this, I know its a mk1 GOLF gathering, but are mk1 jettas and sciroccos invited too? Its just they are part of mk1 family and they might feel left out! Plus we all love a nice mk1 jetta or scirocco!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm 
Advanced Driver

dent doc wrote:
Cathal wrote:
Great man Hugh.. fair play for all the work you've put into making this come to pass.

Really looking forward to the weekend in Galway.. ive already the hotel booked

And the b&b

Chez Dentdoc ya mean :lol:

Previous :- 2006 Mk2 vRS PD TDI170 | 2007 MK2 vRS Combi 2.0 TFSI ( with fast-mode )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:25 pm 
Full Licence

Hi all…

A number of UK based mk1's golf owners are interested in coming to an Irish Mk1 Gathering Weekend in Galway, doing a car cruise around Connemara and taking in the Limerick VAG and Classic Car Show on Sunday 26th May 2013.

I have been in contact with Irish Ferries and secured an all inclusive boat and hotel package (Connemara Coast Hotel in Furbough, Galway and Maldron Smithfield, Dublin). All bookings (hotel and boat) are made through Irish Ferries. (If anyone is interested in staying in the hotel please contact me by pm).

The provisional plan is:

Fri 24th

UK mk1's arrive in Dublin Port about 14:00, link with a few mk1 owners from Dublin/NI, and head to mini meet and rest stop in Athlone, travel onto Galway, stay for 2 nights in Connemara coast hotel on a B&B basis. This will be the base for the weekend. Others are staying close by in B&B's and campsite.

Sat 25th

The plan is to drive out to Connemara on a classic car run, taking in Costello, Clifden, Kylemore Abbey/Castle picture stop, Lennane and back to Galway. Dinner will be in the hotel that night. Anyone who wishes to attend is welcome. More details on this later.

Sun 26th

Drive to the Limerick VAG & Classic Car show, just outside Limerick city. Massive mk1 meet up (all welcome to attend). After car show, UK Mk1 owners continue on to Dublin, overnight in the Maldron Hotel Smithfield.

Mon 27th

Morning at leisure, take in some of the Dublin city centre sights or a trip to the Guinness storehouse and return back to UK on the afternoon ferry.

This is the link to the mk1 owners’ website and the thread we have running on their forum –
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php ... &id=149142

Lets see how many Irish based mk1 owners are available and would like to meet up and/or join in for the weekend or for the Limerick Show?

www.vwgolf1.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
Founder

All,

Just to extend Hughs note slightly.

On the Friday afternoon, Autostadt will have a small welcome party to first welcome the cars and owners then help navigate the guys out of Dublin city given that it will be Friday evening! We'll then get them refuelled and guide them down to athlone.

My Daily: Porsche 997 S | BMW 420d Gran Coupe M-Sport

My Projects: VW MK1 GTi | VW MK2 GTi 16v | VW Corrado G60 | VW Golf Rallye

Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making - John Milton (1608 - 1674)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 pm 
The Stig

If I can do anything in the Galway/Connemara area let me know Hugh.

Brian,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm 
Advanced Driver

This is a great bit of news

Fair play to all involved
i'll print off a few flyers and hand them out to people of interest

Shughy can this be changed slightly?
So if you have a Mk1 Golf - Cabby, Tintop, Caddy or JETTA please do come along and make it a weekend to remember.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:06 pm 
Full Licence

wesley wrote:
This is a great bit of news

Fair play to all involved
i'll print off a few flyers and hand them out to people of interest

Shughy can this be changed slightly?
So if you have a Mk1 Golf - Cabby, Tintop, Caddy or JETTA please do come along and make it a weekend to remember.

Wesley just made the edit - mk1 Jetta's welcome to come. :)

www.vwgolf1.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:09 pm 
Full Licence

Our base so to speak is the Connemara Coast Hotel in Furbo just outside Galway City for the weekend. If anyone want to stay in the hotel we have secured a few rooms but its not coming in too cheap. Best PM me for details.

Some B&B options:

Just did a google search and found the following in order of closest to our 'base' at the hotel:

http://padraicins.com/connemara.galway. ... lcome.html

Look a nice spot, in Furbough so very close to the Connemara Coast Hotel. Music and a traditional bar.

http://www.abbeyvillebarna.com/home.html Abbeyville B&B is located in the small, idyllic village of Barna, Co Galway, just ten minutes drive from Galway, ‘The City of the Tribes. We are an Irish Tourist Board Approved family run modern bed and breakfast, with a fine and long established reputation for hospitality and excellent home cooking.

http://www.villadeporresbandb.com/ Villa de Porres is a luxurious and comfortable, family run Bed and Breakfast. Set in a beautiful, scenic and quiet location, a stay in Villa de Porres will be a relaxing and memorable experience.

Just a small selection - Prices vary from €30 to €40 depending on single/double room. All seem good value for money. There are plenty of B&B options closer to Galway city centre and salthill. If you see something post it up.

www.vwgolf1.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:10 pm 
Full Licence

Some camping options: for those who might like to enjoy the outdoors!

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/ General info on caravan & camping parks and sites in Ireland.

http://www.salthillcaravanpark.com/ Just outside Galway city en route to Connemara Coast Hotel

http://www.camping-irelandwest.com/index.html Two more campsites close to our 'base'.

Not sure on how good or bad these are, look ok, but don't take my word on it! Hope this helps.

www.vwgolf1.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm 
The Stig

what's the deal at the Limerick show? Has that been organised yet? I'll have a short hop from Adare on the morning of the show so it makes no sense for me to meet the convoy. Is there a designated space for a mk1-only lineup?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next